Act Of Defiance Returns With Their Sinister New Album, Old Scars, New Wounds, On September 29, 2017 via Metal Blade Records.
With their 2015 debut, Birth And The Burial, metal band ACT OF DEFIANCE – featuring Chris Broderick on guitar, Henry Derek on vocals, Shawn Drover on drums and Matt Bachand on bass – delivered a blast of pure and unadulterated metal that ignored fads and hit home hard. This year, the band returns with their sinister new album, entitled Old Scars, New Wounds, hitting retailers on September 29, 2017 via Metal Blade Records.
You can watch music videos for the tracks “Overexposure” and “M.I.A.”, via www.metalblade.com/actofdefiance.
You can also pre-order the album now at the same link. Pre-orders are available in the following formats:
Pre-order bundles are also available.
On Old Scars, New Wounds, ACT OF DEFIANCE has upped the ante. Each of the 11 new tracks sound fresh and urgent while wielding a timeless quality that will connect powerfully with metal fans new and old – and there aren’t many contemporary bands who can make such a claim.
Naturally blending a plethora of metallic styles and never recycling ideas, Old Scars, New Wounds is an even more dynamic and diverse collection than its predecessor, which was written solely by Broderick and Drover prior to recruiting bassist Matt Bachand and vocalist Henry Derek. With a fully-seasoned, tour-hardened band in place, there was room for everyone to bring something to the table this time around, and their varying styles helped shape the record.
The title – plucked from the blistering track “Conspiracy Of The Gods” – stands as a metaphor for life in general, and the breadth of lyrical matter covered is as broad as the styles of heavy music found on the record. “Another Killing Spree” looks at hardcore drug use, while “Lullaby Of Vengeance” is an angry song about singing angry lyrics, and “Overexposure” is an anthem dedicated to not selling out. There is also some very topical material, most notably on “Mis-Information Age” and “Broken Dialect”.
“’Mis-Information Age’ is very applicable in today’s social climate, where we can no longer blindly trust the source of facts that determine our view,”Broderick explains. “It asserts that we should be skeptical, making sure we have the truth and not someone’s propaganda, while ‘Broken Dialect’ conveys the idea that people can no longer hold a conversation with each other where their views differ, instead turning to sources that only support the view they want to hold on to.”
With every track featuring a blistering solo from Broderick, fans of his shredding can rest assured that the guitarist has not held back – though that was not his initial intention. “I actually wanted to tone it down a bit technically in terms of my solos, but the opposite happened! This was because I inadvertently ended up creating a few new techniques to use in my trick bag and saw their potential, so I worked really hard on the execution so they could make the record.”
Old Scars, New Wounds track-listing:
Going into writing the record, the quartet had no grand plan, and spread across the continental US, the individual members worked separately, bouncing demos back and forth and building on each others’ ideas. Like many contemporary bands, through taking advantage of available technologies they made a record that is very much a collaborative effort, despite the distances lying between the members’ home bases. Recruiting producer Dave Otero (Cattle Decapitation, Allegaeon) they tracked the record likewise, with Broderick laying down guitars in his own Ill-Fated Studios in LA, Derek and Broderick’s vocals tracked at Red Light Studios also in LA, with Bachand tracking his contributions at Manshark in South Hampton, MA and Drover’s drums were laid down at Atlanta’s Glow In The Dark Studios.
Having proven themselves on the road in support of Birth And The Burial both as headliners and supporting the likes of Killswitch Engage,Hellyeah, and Hatebreed, the band are looking ahead to the expansive touring that will accompany Old Scars, New Wounds, and their hunger to get back in front of crowds has not abated in the slightest. Upcoming touring plans are set to be announced very soon.
Stay tuned for more news, tracks and videos coming from ACT OF DEFIANCE, in anticipation of the release of Old Scars, New Wounds.
ACT OF DEFIANCE line-up:
ACT OF DEFIANCE online:
- ken, , Bands, Molotov Solution, My Children My Bride, News, Lost Boy, molotov solution, my children my bride, Suicide Silence, 0
MYCHILDREN MYBRIDE is pleased to announce their direct supporting position on the upcoming “Time to Bleed Tour” featuring headliners...
- ken, , Bands, Eddie Money, Interviews, Ride For Ronnie, 3rd Annual RIDE FOR RONNIE Motorcycle Ride and Concert, Eddie Money, 0
A Rainy Day Chat with Eddie Money at Ride For Ronnie 2017 The third annual RIDE FOR RONNIE Motorcycle...
- ken, , Bands, Interviews, News, The English Beat, Dave Wakeling, General Public, Here We Go Love, The English Beat, 0
Call Me SKA-stradamus: Revelations with Dave Wakeling of The English Beat Dave Wakeling and The English Beat were in...
- Love Past Blue at AMPLYFi – Live PhotosJanuary 16, 2018
- Disrupted Euphoria at Beer City StudiosJanuary 16, 2018
- The Darts at Gnar Burger RecordsJanuary 16, 2018
- The Color Wild, Hi, Mom and Fake It at PBWLAJanuary 15, 2018
- Janet Gardner at The Whisky – Live PhotosJanuary 14, 2018
- Mycah at The Whisky – Live PhotosJanuary 13, 2018
- Immolation: Death Metal Atonement in HollywoodJanuary 13, 2018
- MYJA NEW ALBUM OUT TODAYJanuary 12, 2018
- THE XCERTS Release Anthemic New Single “Drive Me Wild”January 12, 2018
- CAPITAL NORTH ANNOUNCE DEBUT EP, SEA TO SKYJanuary 12, 2018
- KIM WILDE ANNOUNCES HERE COME THE ALIENSJanuary 11, 2018
- EDGE OF PARADISE SET TO OPEN FOR METAL ALLEGIANCE AT NAMM 2018January 11, 2018
- From The Past To The Future: An Interview With ClustersunJanuary 11, 2018
- Hookers & Blow at Saint Rocke – Live PhotosJanuary 11, 2018
- Crimson Apple at Downtown Disney – Live PhotosJanuary 11, 2018
- All I Said Was Never Heard by Lizzy Farrall (Pure Noise Records)January 11, 2018
- Random Eyes: Modern Metal On A MissionJanuary 10, 2018
- IMMORTAL Has Completed New Album!January 9, 2018
- Pat Benatar to be Honored at the 2018 She Rocks AwardsJanuary 9, 2018
- AXEL RUDI PELL To Release Knights Call March 23rd via SPV/SteamhammerJanuary 9, 2018
Browse by Band
- Under The Hollywood Stars with Steve Kilbey of The Church on
- Ronnie Montrose Remembered: A NAMM 2017 All-Star Memorial Concert on
- Rough Cutt at The Whisky on
- Lynch Mob live photos on
- The Ultimate Jam Night Interviews with Ron Young of Little Caesar on
- The Ultimate Jam Night Interviews with Ron Young of Little Caesar on
- Keeping It Real with The BulletBoys on
- London live photos on
- Molly Vamp / Raven’s Cry live photos on
- Soaring into the Stratosphere with SayWeCanFly on
- Asylus live photos on
- Swervedriver announce tour in 2015, SXSW appearance on
- Static Fiction Release New EP titled “ALL IN” on
- Flyleaf: SnoCore, Hot Chicks, and Beyond on
- Framing Hanley announce breakup on
- Wanna Be Country by Corey Hager (Self-released CD) on
- Gabbie Rae live photos on
- Go Betty Go and The Dollyrots at The Roxy on
- Lita Ford at M15 Concert Bar and Grill on
- Lets Move Mountains Premieres New Single “A Storm’s a’Comin’” on