Act Of Defiance Returns With Their Sinister New Album, Old Scars, New Wounds, On September 29, 2017 via Metal Blade Records.
With their 2015 debut, Birth And The Burial, metal band ACT OF DEFIANCE – featuring Chris Broderick on guitar, Henry Derek on vocals, Shawn Drover on drums and Matt Bachand on bass – delivered a blast of pure and unadulterated metal that ignored fads and hit home hard. This year, the band returns with their sinister new album, entitled Old Scars, New Wounds, hitting retailers on September 29, 2017 via Metal Blade Records.
You can watch music videos for the tracks “Overexposure” and “M.I.A.”, via www.metalblade.com/actofdefiance.
You can also pre-order the album now at the same link. Pre-orders are available in the following formats:
Pre-order bundles are also available.
On Old Scars, New Wounds, ACT OF DEFIANCE has upped the ante. Each of the 11 new tracks sound fresh and urgent while wielding a timeless quality that will connect powerfully with metal fans new and old – and there aren’t many contemporary bands who can make such a claim.
Naturally blending a plethora of metallic styles and never recycling ideas, Old Scars, New Wounds is an even more dynamic and diverse collection than its predecessor, which was written solely by Broderick and Drover prior to recruiting bassist Matt Bachand and vocalist Henry Derek. With a fully-seasoned, tour-hardened band in place, there was room for everyone to bring something to the table this time around, and their varying styles helped shape the record.
The title – plucked from the blistering track “Conspiracy Of The Gods” – stands as a metaphor for life in general, and the breadth of lyrical matter covered is as broad as the styles of heavy music found on the record. “Another Killing Spree” looks at hardcore drug use, while “Lullaby Of Vengeance” is an angry song about singing angry lyrics, and “Overexposure” is an anthem dedicated to not selling out. There is also some very topical material, most notably on “Mis-Information Age” and “Broken Dialect”.
“’Mis-Information Age’ is very applicable in today’s social climate, where we can no longer blindly trust the source of facts that determine our view,”Broderick explains. “It asserts that we should be skeptical, making sure we have the truth and not someone’s propaganda, while ‘Broken Dialect’ conveys the idea that people can no longer hold a conversation with each other where their views differ, instead turning to sources that only support the view they want to hold on to.”
With every track featuring a blistering solo from Broderick, fans of his shredding can rest assured that the guitarist has not held back – though that was not his initial intention. “I actually wanted to tone it down a bit technically in terms of my solos, but the opposite happened! This was because I inadvertently ended up creating a few new techniques to use in my trick bag and saw their potential, so I worked really hard on the execution so they could make the record.”
Old Scars, New Wounds track-listing:
Going into writing the record, the quartet had no grand plan, and spread across the continental US, the individual members worked separately, bouncing demos back and forth and building on each others’ ideas. Like many contemporary bands, through taking advantage of available technologies they made a record that is very much a collaborative effort, despite the distances lying between the members’ home bases. Recruiting producer Dave Otero (Cattle Decapitation, Allegaeon) they tracked the record likewise, with Broderick laying down guitars in his own Ill-Fated Studios in LA, Derek and Broderick’s vocals tracked at Red Light Studios also in LA, with Bachand tracking his contributions at Manshark in South Hampton, MA and Drover’s drums were laid down at Atlanta’s Glow In The Dark Studios.
Having proven themselves on the road in support of Birth And The Burial both as headliners and supporting the likes of Killswitch Engage,Hellyeah, and Hatebreed, the band are looking ahead to the expansive touring that will accompany Old Scars, New Wounds, and their hunger to get back in front of crowds has not abated in the slightest. Upcoming touring plans are set to be announced very soon.
Stay tuned for more news, tracks and videos coming from ACT OF DEFIANCE, in anticipation of the release of Old Scars, New Wounds.
ACT OF DEFIANCE line-up:
ACT OF DEFIANCE online:
Forthcoming TESTAMENT Album ‘Dark Roots Of Earth’ Drummer GENE HOGLAN to Join Upcoming Co-Headliner with Anthraxken, , Anthrax, Bands, Death Angel, News, Testament, Anthrax, Dark Roots Of Earth, Death Angel, Gene Hoglan, Testament, 0
Forthcoming TESTAMENT Album ‘Dark Roots Of Earth’ Drummer GENE HOGLAN to Join Upcoming Co-Headliner with Anthrax from October 28th...
- ken, , Bands, Black Veil Brides, News, The Paramedic, Black Veil Brides, Bullet Tooth Records, Chris Hollywood, Diary Of My Demons, The Paramedic, 0
The Paramedic is excited to announce the addition of Chris Hollywood (formerly of Black Veil Brides) on guitar. This...
- ken, , Bands, Dead Girls Academy, Interviews, Warped Tour 2018, Dead Girls Academy, Michael Vampire, Vampires Everywhere, Vans Warped Tour 2018, Victory Records, 0
The Vans Warped Tour Kickoff Event 2018 Interviews with Dead Girls Academy The Vans Warped Tour Kickoff Event took place at Vans...
- Blink 182 at MUSINK Festival – Live PhotosMarch 18, 2018
- Good Charlotte at MUSINK Festival 2018 – Live PhotosMarch 18, 2018
- Travis Barker presents MUSINK – Day 2 with Blink 182, Good Charlotte at The OC Fair & Event CenterMarch 18, 2018
- Descendants at MUSINK Festival 2018March 17, 2018
- FEAR at MUSINK Festival 2018 – Live PhotosMarch 17, 2018
- Travis Barker presents MUSINK – Day 1 with Descendants, Fear at The OC Fair & Event CenterMarch 17, 2018
- ZZ Ward at The Fonda Theater – Live PhotosMarch 16, 2018
- Attila at Vans Warped Tour San Diego – Live PhotosMarch 16, 2018
- Creations & Memories by States & Capitals (Self-released)March 15, 2018
- SIFTING announce U.S. tour dates supporting PRONG and SONS OF APOLLOMarch 15, 2018
- Eight by Little Caesar (Golden Robot Records)March 15, 2018
- DON MCLEAN SET TO RELEASE NEW ALBUM BOTANICAL GARDENS MARCH 23March 15, 2018
- WE GAVE IT HELL Release Debut LP, ‘Labyrinth’ – North American Tour Dates AnnouncedMarch 15, 2018
- MAJESTY Sign With Napalm Records Worldwide!March 14, 2018
- Fozzy at The Whisky – Live PhotosMarch 14, 2018
- Capital North at Amplyfi – Live PhotosMarch 14, 2018
- Fozzy at The WhiskyMarch 14, 2018
- KLOS Sabroso Craft Beer, Taco & Music Festival: The Offspring, Pennywise, Craft Beer, Tacos & More April 7 At Doheny State BeachMarch 13, 2018
- YES TO EMBARK ON NORTH AMERICAN 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR COMMENCING JUNE 2018March 13, 2018
- ALICE COOPER ANNOUNCES SUMMER 2018 NORTH AMERICAN “PARANORMAL EVENING” TOURMarch 13, 2018
Browse by Band
- Madonnica at Saint Rocke – Live Photos on
- Loaded Guns: Unstoppable and Ready to Rage! on
- Bret’s Favorite Albums of 2017 on
- Under The Hollywood Stars with Steve Kilbey of The Church on
- Ronnie Montrose Remembered: A NAMM 2017 All-Star Memorial Concert on
- Rough Cutt at The Whisky on
- Lynch Mob live photos on
- The Ultimate Jam Night Interviews with Ron Young of Little Caesar on
- The Ultimate Jam Night Interviews with Ron Young of Little Caesar on
- Keeping It Real with The BulletBoys on
- London live photos on
- Molly Vamp / Raven’s Cry live photos on
- Soaring into the Stratosphere with SayWeCanFly on
- Asylus live photos on
- Swervedriver announce tour in 2015, SXSW appearance on
- Static Fiction Release New EP titled “ALL IN” on
- Flyleaf: SnoCore, Hot Chicks, and Beyond on
- Framing Hanley announce breakup on
- Wanna Be Country by Corey Hager (Self-released CD) on
- Gabbie Rae live photos on